Tuesday, July 24, 2012

CTTVCC: Breakup Pudding

Well, I haven't been in any relationships lately, but I tried the "Breakup Pudding" recipe from PETA's Vegan College Cookbook when two of my friends were dumped by their boyfriends within a week of each other.


I have made it twice now, but both times, I've had a few variations from the original recipe. 

First off, I used light tofu. Now, seeing as tofu is usually considered a diet food, I thought it was particularly interesting that there was diet tofu. I'm not even kidding. The light tofu has half the calories per serving. It has 45 calories vs. regular tofu which has 70-80. I chose to make it with light tofu, because I didn't want my friends (or myself) to gain weight because of some stupid boy. (No offense guys.) I consider it a guiltless indulgence.

The second variation I had was that, because I have a cheap blender, I had to add a splash or two of unsweetened alternative milk to get the blending process working. I suppose you could use a regular sweetened alternative milk, even a vanilla flavored one two give it a bit more flavor. I just keep regular unsweetened milks at my house to cut down the amount of calories I consume when I use it in cereal.

The last alteration I had was using dark chocolate cocoa powder. When I was at the grocery store, a lot of the regular cocoa powder I found had some milk derivatives in it, and personally, I like dark chocolate better. Here's how I see it: if I'm going to eat something, like chocolate for example, I want to eat the real stuff. I mean, the chocolate I eat is practically baking chocolate, which if any of you ever tried as a kid when your mother wasn't looking, is pretty bitter. I guess it's an acquired taste I developed because of some of the other bitter things I consume, like coffee. That, however, is a story for another time.

Anyway, I really like this recipe, and now that I actually OWN a copy of this amazing book, I don't have to make it off the website, or using the recipe cards I've gotten in various activism packs I've ordered from PETA and Peta2. Even my non-vegan friends and family members love this recipe. When my (non-vegan) mother tried it, she said:
"This pudding is so good, it would definitely be worth breaking up with someone for."
 I would definitely recommend trying it, maybe even with my little twist on it. I hope you all enjoy it! Let me know what you think of the recipe in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment