Tuesday, May 28, 2013

CTTVCC: Fake Blondes

The natural habitat of this phenomenal recipe is page 294 of TVCC. How many girls wouldn't kill for instant brownies? Guys, I'm sure you can win the heart of any girl with these babies. Girls, I'm betting this recipe will be going on your list of favorites. This is pretty much as close as I've ever seen anyone come to successful instant brownies. Not to mention vegan, gluten-free (I'm my case anyway) brownies. These were a delicious, satisfying, easy, don't-have-to-have-much-patience, rich, relatively not bad for you, amazing chocolate fix. They were good enough to eat the entire batch, yet rich enough to be perfectly satisfied with one serving. When has that ever happened before? How about NEVER.

The recipe calls for:
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips

I used Earth Fare brand sugar, salt, vanilla extract, and Earth Fare brand sugar-free applesauce. I would advise trying to find applesauce without high fructose corn syrup. A lot of name brand apple sauce sneaks that in there and it makes your food not as good for you. Just a tip, I have found that when you use applesauce as an ingredient in baking, your food won't stick to the sides of the container you bake them in. In fact, there's always a bit of a gap between the edge, and the baked item. My super-scientific guess is that the water in the applesauce mostly evaporates, and when it does so, the food slightly shrinks, pulling it away from the edge of the pan/bowl/whatever. It makes sense to me, but hey, I'm not a chemist . . or a professional chef.

My mother absolutely detests canola oil, so I didn't have any around the house. Instead I used Earth Fare brand extra-virgin olive oil. I was a bit nervous when I was putting the mixed batter in the microwave because I could still smell the olive oil a bit, but once they were completely cooked, I couldn't smell it or taste it.

Since I'm gluten-free, I obviously didn't use whole wheat flour. I used Jules all-purpose gluten-free flour. I think the gluten-free flour made my fake blondes a bit chewier than normal brownies, so anyone who used normal flour (you non-gluten-free humans out there,) please let me know how the consistency turned out. I am super-curious, but obviously, I can't try it out myself.



For the coca powder, I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder because I LOVE dark chocolate. I'm sure non-dark chocolate works great too though.

HERSHEY'S Cocoa SPECIAL DARK

Lastly, I used Enjoy Life semi-sweet mini chocolate chips, and I cannot tell a lie, I didn't measure them. I had a mostly used up bag of them, and I figured there was at least half a cup, and that if my brownies had extra chocolate, then Vive La Chocolat! (Pardon my french.)

Share


Here is my delicious finished product:


This is actually the surface of the moon. They lied. It's not made of cheese. It's made of Fake Blondes. Just kidding. But seriously, the moon would be a lot cooler if it was made of this and not fancy rocks.



Ahhhhh! Don't you just want to bite your screen? Mmmmmmmmm. Mmmmmmmmake these now. They're so yummy.

One thing I must say is that they weren't very blonde. Perhaps they have gone back to their natural color? Haha! I was expecting blondies though, because of the name, but these were definitely brownies. Or maybe that's why they're "fake" blondes. . . because they're really brunettes? Eh. . . I don't know. I do want to make blondies with this recipe now though. (As soon as I'm done not sharing the other 3 servings of these things.) By the way, these taste best when they're at least warm, if not hot, with a side of your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream.

P.S. I like your natural hair color best!

2 comments: