Sunday, May 26, 2013

CTTVCC: O Baby

The recipe for today is on page 86 of TVCC. (I feel all fancy having my own abbreviation for this!) The only thing that could make this recipe better would be if you didn't have to let it cool in the fridge before eating it. I mean really, microwaves heat stuff practically instantly. Why don't we have instant cooling devices? Come on, science! Anyway, I think this recipe would work great for parties. It would also work well for hanging out with just one friend. (Especially if it's a over-nighter, particularly the kind where you don't sleep.) This could be a dessert or a snack. It's in the Spotlight on Peanut Butter section, so it doesn't really say what classification of food it's supposed to be. Heck, eat it for breakfast. Most of the ingredients are breakfast foods anyway.

The recipe calls for:
  • 3 1/2 cups O-shaped vegan cereal 
  • Handful vegan chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
I used Nature's Path Organic Whole O's Cereal, which is gluten-free and vegan. I understand that there are vegan O-shaped cereals out there that are not gluten-free for those of you who can eat wheat. (Watch out for the Vitamin D3 though. Apparently some brands use animal-derived D3.)

I really love Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips which are gluten-free, soy-free, and vegan. This brand also makes chocolate chunks that would probably work fabulously in this recipe as well. Those of you with big hands are lucky, because my handfulls are smaller than most people's. That is why I ended up putting a few extra in my O Babies.

Here it is with the ingredients so far:



I used generic maple syrup (which was still vegan) because that's what my family had in the pantry. Feel free to use the fancy stuff in your recipe if you'd like.

One thing I must say about the peanut butter for this recipe is: Use creamy if you can help it. I used crunchy which has less actual peanut butter in it because of the peanut chunks. If you use crunchy peanut butter, use a bit extra so that there is enough peanut butter to coat all the other ingredients.

Here is how it turned out:


 It was hard to get a square (or rectangle, rather,) that didn't fall apart because of the crunchy peanut butter not having enough actual peanut butter to it, but here is one little piece I managed to snag:


My little sister oh-so-helpfully ate over half of these when I wasn't looking. Oh well. At least she's eating vegan food when she eats my food. I'm sure it's better for me that she stole my dessert. Oh well. Obviously though, this stuff is really good. It's so tempting to make more of them right now, but I've got other desserts in the cookbook to make first. This is definitely going on my list of go-to recipes. Were you as impressed with these as I was?

No comments:

Post a Comment