Friday, May 31, 2013

CTTVCC: Rent's Due "Cheezy" Ramen

If you turn to page 133 of TVCC, you will find this super-simple, easy "cheezy" recipe. This is delicious, and super-simple. I can't believe I'd never thought of putting nutritional yeast in noodles before. I mean, you already have to add a package of powder-flavoring, so why not just add some extra powdered nutritional yeast? Easy. Plus, it actually gives your ramen some protein and vitamins so you aren't just eating carbs with water.

The recipe calls for:
  • 1 package ramen (try Top Ramen Oriental flavor)
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
The only vegan, gluten-free "ramen" I've been able to find is Dr. McDougall's Pad Thai Noodle Soup because Pad Thai uses rice noodles. If you have been able to find other gluten-free noodles, please, comment and let me know.



I accidentally grabbed Dr. McDougall's Pad Thai Noodle, which isn't a soup. It doesn't use as much water, so it leaves a sauce instead of a broth. So, I just used extra water to make it more soupy. This stuff comes with little tofu cubes that are reconstituted when you cook them in the water, so that your food isn't totally boring.


I used Red Star nutritional yeast. I'm actually starting to kind of run low on the stuff. I'm thinking about trying a different brand, or perhaps buying it in bulk to see if they all taste the same.

Here is what my soup looked like:


When I made this, I only had the cup-sized noodle packages, which is one serving, and the full-sized packages are 2 servings, so I just cut the nutritional yeast in half. Pad Thai has a lot of it's own flavor, but it didn't clash with the nutritional yeast flavor. I think the nutritional yeast actually helped enhance the flavor. I've pretty much decided that unless I'm making a different Vegan College Cookbook recipe, I'm always going to put nutritional yeast in my noodles. I would definitely recommend this recipe is you're wanting to make noodles. It was rather tasty. If you made your soup with a different flavor, let me know how it turned out! I'm really curious to try other favors, (especially the flavor that the book recommends,) but obviously, if it's not gluten-free too, I can't eat it. I hope you guys were as impressed as I was!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I just stopped by after seeing your blog featured on the peta2 website, going over the college cookbook thing, and your reviews make me really want to buy that book! Anyway, I do know of a good brand of instant noodles that are vegan and gluten free. They are Simply Asia Thai Kitchen Rice Noodle Soup packets. They're like little blocks of ramen noodles but they're made of rice and they are gluten free and almost all of the flavors are vegan. My favorite flavors are spring onion and garlic & vegetable. I can link you to the site! I don't know how easily you can find them where you live, but they're pretty ubiquitous in rural MN where I live. Good luck! http://www.thaikitchen.com/Products/Instant-Rice-Noodle-Soups.aspx
    P.S. They also have many other products that are vegan and gluten free but I haven't tried any of them. I'm sure they're pretty good! I ate a LOT of the Simply Asia noodle bowls (not gluten free) last year in my dorm. They were almost a staple! LOL have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! Also, thanks for the suggestion. I will keep my eyes open for Simply Asia products. I really appreciate the heads up. ^_^ Please, feel free to subscribe to my blog so you will automatically get updates. (That way you don't have to remember to check back for new posts.) Thanks so much!

      Delete