Saturday, May 25, 2013

CTTVCC: The Morning-After Scramble

This absolutely nomalicious recipe can be found on page 34. This was phenomenal. Amazing. Absolutely delicious. So so SO SOOOOOO GOOOOOD! Well, you know my opinion now. It is a wonderful recipe. For a while there, I was looking for the perfect tofu scramble recipe, and I could have saved myself a lot of time if I'd just looked at this one. This is supposed to be a breakfast recipe, and I agree. It works great for breakfast! It also would work great for lunch, dinner, or a snack. It's just scrumptious.

The recipe calls for:
  • 8 oz salsa
  • 1 (16-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, mashed
  • Salt, pepper, and garlic powder, to taste
  • 1/3 cup soy milk
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
I used generic salsa because that's what my family had, but there was only mild salsa in the refrigerator, and I'm a fan of medium salsa at the minimum, so I supplemented the spice with a dash of cayenne (red) pepper.

 For the tofu, I used Nasoya Extra Firm Tofu, though, you could just as easily use Nasoya Lite Firm Tofu, (which I normally use,) that is only half the calories or the extra firm.  It just strikes me as funny that there is a "diet" version of tofu, which is normally considered a diet food in and of itself.

Extra Firm Tofu


I used Organic Unsweetened Silk Soymilk, because the sweetened soy milk, even original flavor, always tastes weird to me in more savory recipes. If you want to use regular stuff though, knock yourself out. And hey, while you're at it, you could use any fake milk you wanted to! It seems like you can really never run out of options there.

Organic Unsweetened Soymilk

For the Nutritional Yeast, I used Red Star brand nutritional yeast. (However, on their website, I can't find it listed in the products. But it's in my grocery store! I saw it there today when I was picking up more CTTVCC supplies!)

Here is what the tofu scramble looks like after cooking:


Don't mind the plate I hand-decorated in elementary school, but this is what it looks like on delicious toast :


Now then, this is a recipe that you either want to make for a lot of people, or only make part of it. I personally cut the recipe by a third, and I still had enough to load up 3 pieces of toast with it. This would also work as a breakfast burrito, you could eat it on tortilla chips, pita pockets, (The recipe says with potatoes or faux meat of some kind,) or just by itself. My mother tried some before she went to work, and she said it was so delicious, that she couldn't stop thinking about it all day at work. For real guys, this stuff is crazy-good.

No comments:

Post a Comment