Monday, May 27, 2013

CTTVCC: No-Need-To-Visit-A-Diner-For-Hash-Browns Casserole

This recipe is available on page 42. I apologize for posting this recipe review so late in the day, (I've been helping my older sister move,) and I apologize in advance for only having one picture of my finished product. it smelled too delicious to wait for more than one picture to dig in. While I don't normally consider broccoli a breakfast food, this breakfast casserole was pretty good. I guess I would think of it more as brunch, which is exactly what I made it for. Who needs to wake up before noon anyway? I cut the recipe in half just because I was only intending to make it for one person (me,) with maybe one or two sample-filchers. It didn't say exactly what size of a container to cook it in, so I used a glass bread pan and had plenty of room for more. I'm not positive that it would hold the entire recipe, but I'm sure it would at least come close.

The recipe calls for:
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Olive oil, for coating
  • 1 (20 ounce) bag shredded potatoes (can also use hash-brown-style potatoes), thawed
  • 1 (12 ounce) bag veggie veggie burger crumbles, thawed
  • 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed
  • Hot sauce (optional)
I used Red Star Nutritional Yeast again. I don't know why, but I like nutritional yeast in recipes, even though I'm not particularly fond of the smell of it when it's dry in the container. (My sisters complain about it every time I use the stuff.) Really though, it never ceases to amaze me that you can make it taste so much like cheese. What is this wizardry?

Instead of using soy milk, I used Unsweetened Flax Milk which is a great source of Omega-3s without fish oil. (Blech!) I don't recommend substituting flax milk in everything, but for most recipes or cereal it's great. It just tastes kinda gross in coffee or tea. The main reason I like using this stuff is because it's only 25 calories for an 8 oz serving. (The sweetened version is still only 50 calories.) It's just an easy way to keep the food slightly healthier without sacrificing flavor.



 I used generic olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and broccoli florets.

 It took me forever to find ANY hash-brown style potatoes, but I think I was just not looking in the right place. I did finally find these Alexia Hashed Browns and they worked fabulously. I don't know why Alexia has past-tense hashed browns instead of present-tense hash browns like everyone else, but whatever. Maybe they wanted more letters on their packaging.


For the veggie burger crumbles, I used Marjon Original Tofu Crumbles. I found them one day at Publix grocery store, and as soon as I realized they are gluten-free and vegan, I instantly made them a staple in my refrigerator.

I didn't use any hot sauce, just because I've never been a huge fan of the stuff. I might have tried it if we'd had hot sauce lying around the house. However, we didn't, and I didn't want to be responsible for eating all of it if I had bought a new bottle.

This is my finished casserole:



Overall, this recipe is pretty good. It took a little bit longer to fix than other recipes I've made so far, but I think that might have just been that I had to actually measure things because I cut the recipe in half. I found it very satisfying and filling. I would definitely make this recipe again, and I think my cats hope I do too. This is the sort of food that tends to make you accidentally drop crumbs, and my kittens seemed to think this was just the greatest stuff ever. Though, admittedly, they aren't that discriminant when it comes to food. Whatever. This was yummy! I honestly wish I had made more of it so I could have pigged out. I hope you all liked it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment