Tuesday, June 4, 2013

CTTVCC: Crumb Bum Breakfast Cobbler

This recipe is on page 33. This is another breakfast recipe that could double as dessert. It would probably be one of the healthier desserts you could pick too. Okay, I don't know about that, but it would probably be better for you than downing a tub of vegan chocolate ice cream. This recipe could easily become one of my comfort foods. I mean warm fruity goodness is much more comforting than anything cold, in my opinion anyway.

The recipe calls for:
  • 1 (16 ounce) can sliced peaches, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pear halves, drained and sliced
  • 1/3 cup orange juice (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cups low-fat granola cereal

I don't know how many cans of peaches my family has. I don't even remember a time when there weren't an army of canned peaches in the pantry. I just pulled out some generic peaches, and we also had a few cans of pears. Both were in no-sugar-added juice instead of heavy syrup. I never have been a big fan of heavy syrup. I admit I cheated a little bit with the pears though. I didn't use pear halves, I used sliced pears. I ended up dicing both the peaches and the pears though, but you don't have to.

I am declaring the orange juice definitely not optional. It helped cut a bit of the sweetness so it didn't just taste like I was eating fruit-shaped sugar. I heard once that drinking orange juice in the morning before a test/quiz will help you remember things you've studied better. I try to keep orange juice well-stocked during the school year.

I used Peace Cereal French Vanilla granola again. It enhanced the flavor as well in my opinion, since it's a non-fruit flavor, and therefore doesn't clash.

Here is my finished cobbler:


Okay, the first piece fell apart ingloriously, but the second piece stayed pretty much in tact. Until I ate it of course!



Not only was this cobbler delicious, but it made my kitchen radiate the delicious smell of peach and orange. With a hint of French vanilla because of the granola. (The pears don't really have a strong smell.) I made the entire recipe instead of only half or something, but part of me wishes I hadn't. The only thing that kept me from devouring the entire breakfast cobbler was the fact that I promised I'd save some for my mother. (It might be easier to save some on rushed school mornings though.) I hope you enjoy this breakfast brain-food dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment