Sunday, June 2, 2013

CTTVCC: Morning in Mexico Scramble

Due to an unexpected chain of events, I am posting this rather late. I know I'm sorry. So, I decided that because it's so late, I'll post a breakfast recipe. This recipe is on page 27. The only thing is, it really doesn't taste like a breakfast recipe. It's really good though, and I've gotten my mom absolutely hooked on tofu scramble because of this recipe, and the Morning-After Scramble recipe. Score. Anyways, you could eat this for just about any meal under the sun. You could even make up some meals as an excuse to eat this stuff.

The recipe calls for:
  • 1 (16-ounce) package firm tofu, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups corn tortilla chips
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 cups salsa
I used Nasoya Extra Firm Tofu again, as well as Earth Fare brand onion powder, and Whole Foods brand (365 Organic) salsa. I would recommend using a spicier salsa. After all, tofu is not exactly packed with flavor.

I used spinach and kale tortilla chips from The Better Chip. They have a bit more of a spicy flavor to them because of the kale, but regular (vegan) tortila chips would probably be just fine.


This is what my tofu scramble looked like:




Then I made part of it into a taco. And surprisingly, it went well with broccoli.

This is another one of those rather versatile foods. At first, I thought to myself: "Self, what am I going to eat this with?" And then I was like "Hmmm. . . I could always eat it on top of more chips." So, I did. And then after eating a bunch of it on more chips, I thought that maybe it would taste good on (gluten-free) toast as well. Which is did. I didn't try using any vegan margarine on the toast though, which I'm sure would taste good. Must say though, it probably wouldn't be very noticeable.

I actually only made a third of the recipe, and it was still plenty of food for 2 people.Well, actually, I made a third of the recipe twice. See, the first time, I accidentally made it with garlic powder instead of onion powder. So, once I realized what I did, I had to make a second batch with onion powder. But both times, a third of the recipe was enough for 2 people. It was pretty good though, both times. I'm not sure which one was better. I can't really describe the difference in the taste except for the obvious. One was more garlicy, and the other was more oniony. But the weird part is, the garlic powder one was more oniony, and the onion powder one was more garlicy. How crazy is that? JUST KIDDING! Anyway, if you have garlic powder, and don't have onion powder, I don't think it's worth going out and buying another bottle of spices just to make the recipe. If you feel like trying both, and telling me which one you like better, that would be awesome! As always, I'm curious to know what other people thought of the recipes. (Especially if you followed any of my modifications.)

No comments:

Post a Comment