Monday, June 17, 2013

CTTVCC: Piz-Tato

This recipe is on page 284. Starting out with this recipe, I wasn't sure what to expect. I stopped really liking potatoes a while ago, but now I'm starting to think that's just because I got sick of the way my family always fixed potatoes, which was full of butter and cream cheese, and cheese, basically, just dairy overload, which was also rather bland. This recipe has renewed my faith in potatoes. Not only was it good, it was really delicious, especially since I was expecting not to be impressed. I absolutely loved it. Next time I want vegan, gluten-free pizza, I won't bother whining about finding one of the holy grails of gluten-free, vegan frozen-in-a-box-from-the-grocery-store pizzas because making the gluten-free dough is normally more work than I want to do anyway. I'll just flip to this recipe.

The recipe calls for:

  • 1 large baking potato
  • 3 tablespoons pizza or tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella-style vegan cheese

As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't expecting this to appeal to me very much, so, consequently, I did not get a large baking potato, I got a small potato. Because I got a baby-sized potato, I cut the rest of the ingredients in half. I definitely won't be cutting the recipe in half in the future, because this was so yummy!

I used store brand, garden-style pasta sauce, and Daiya Mozzarella- Style Shreds. Those two ingredients are a match made in heaven. Or perhaps made in America. . . but inspired by Italy! 

Here is my finished potato:


How adorable is that? They're like baby-pizzas!


Yeah, I wasn't sure how to eat them. Do you pick them up and eat them like pizza? Do you cut them into bite-sized pieces? I gave up guessing and mashed it all together. So, now it doesn't look that attractive, but it tasted amazing!

I really loved this recipe. I will definitely be making it again. I with there had been more of it. Oh well. At least I'm more open to the other potato recipes in the cookbook. I know I wouldn't have come up with this recipe on my own. turn a potato into a pizza? How often do people do that? Well I've decided: not often enough. Let me know what you thought by commenting on this post!

2 comments:

  1. Alright, that's it. I'm definitely trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of it once you've made it!

      Delete