Wednesday, June 5, 2013

CTTVCC: Saffi's Chick Salad

This recipe is available on page 114. I admit, that I had my doubts about this recipe. I wasn't sure it would taste good with the olive oil. It did taste pretty good, however, next time I will probably use slightly less olive oil, that way it has the moisture without the slight greasiness.

The recipe calls for:
  • 1/2 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
  • 1 tablespoon chives
  • 1 long English cucumber, peeled and finely chopped 
  • 4 tablespoons dried parsley 
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

I used Earth Fare chickpeas, chives, cucumber, olive oil, salt, and pepper. I forgot to get parsley, and when I checked my house, we didn't have any. Too bad I wasn't visiting my out-of-town family though, I could have gotten some fresh from their garden. 

I used ReaLemon lemon juice. I would have preferred to use fresh juice, but I don't have fresh lemons and I do have lemon juice already. 


Here is my finished concoction:



This stuff was pretty good, and it kept fairly well. I ate it for lunch, but I made it the night before. It had a bit of a different taste than when it was fresh, (I sampled it as soon as I made it of course,) probably because the cucumber wasn't crisp anymore, but it didn't brown because of the lemon juice. If I was going to make it in advance though, I would probably make it the morning that I wanted to eat it for lunch though, instead of the night before. I definitely would recommend it though. It's very filling, and pretty tasty. I hope you all liked it as much as I did.

1 comment:

  1. It was very tasty, even the second day. I hope you weren't hoping to have any leftovers tonight.

    I agree that you should slightly reduce the amount of oil.

    ReplyDelete