Saturday, June 1, 2013

CTTVCC: Hearty Hummus Sandwich

Hi Everyone, and welcome to another entry in CTTVCC! Today's recipe is on page 50. This is a delicious, and simple, yet filling sandwich. I happen to really like hummus sandwiches, especially since my school's sandwich shop offers hummus as a protein on their "create your own" sandwich menu. Hummus is also incredibly good on veggie burgers. Then you have awesomely protein-packed deliciouswhiches. All that to say, hummus is really good on sandwiches.

The recipe calls for:
  • Hummus, to taste
  • 2 slices thick-crusted sourdough bread
  • 1-2 leaves lettuce
  • 3-4 cherry tomatoes, halved
I used Publix original hummus, but I would recommend Sabra Tuscan Herb Garden Hummus, which is the favorite of pretty much everyone in my family. It's got a lot of flavor to it, which would help make sure your sandwich isn't boring.

 

I used Food For Life Brown Rice Bread, because obviously, I can't eat regular sourdough bread. 


I used generic lettuce and these cute little yellow grape tomatoes. I figured that yellow tomatoes are less common, and thus more exotic. I think they're also a little sweeter than regular cherry tomatoes.

Here is my finished sandwich:



Overall, I think this is pretty good. It's a little simplistic, but that's not always a bad thing. Perhaps if you swapped the lettuce for spinach. Then you could pack in a bit of extra iron. That sounds really good actually. I want to go make that now. I also kind of wish that I'd used some cherry tomatoes too though. I could have made a little pattern with the yellow and red tomato halves. That would be cute! This is a pretty low-effort recipe, and obviously, it's not something to make when you're pretending to be fancy, but it's pretty balanced for when you need a quick bite to eat, I think. If you're absolutely famished, you'll probably want a bit more to eat than just this sandwich, though. Also, these can get a bit messy if you put too much hummus on them. But, as long as no one's watching, the mess is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment