Monday, June 3, 2013

CTTVCC: Leafy Nuggets

The recipe for this salad can be found on page 93. The book claims that this is a painless way to get your greens, and they're totally right. I've never had a problem with eating my vegetables, but occasionally, simple salads are just too boring. Even though this is an extremely basic salad, it's still delicious.

The recipe calls for:
  • 1 (16 ounce) bag of pre-washed salad greens
  • 1 (10 ounce) box vegan chicken patties
  • Vegan salad dressing, to taste

I picked Organic Girl 50/50 salad mix which is half spring greens, and half spinach. Spinach is one of my favorite greens, if not my absolute favorite. It's my main source of iron (probably, that is, I've never sat down and actually calculated that.) The main thing to remember about spinach is that you have to consume plenty of vitamin C along with it in order to absorb the iron from the leaves.

50/50! - 50% spring mix & 50% baby spinach

I used Beyond Meat Lightly Seasoned Chicken-Free Strips which are gluten-free, and vegan. I have only been able to find gluten-free, vegan strips though, not patties. lucky for me, this recipe ends up turning these into strips, which saved me a bit of work. For those of you who can still have gluten, I'm sure Gardein would work fine. Really though, it tastes so much like chicken that I actually felt guilty the first time I used it in a recipe, even though I knew it was completely fake. It's almost creepy how similar the texture is to meat. I just hope I don't develop a soy allergy, or I won't be able to eat any pseudo-meat.

http://www.beyondmeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/lightlyseasoned.jpg

I used Annie's fat-free raspberry balsamic, but it really would have tasted better with Italian dressing or a vegan ranch. The sweetness didn't compliment the faux meat very well in my opinion, but it wasn't bad. Even a tangy fruit dressing would have worked. Hey, just straight up lemon juice would taste awesome with this.



Overall this is great. I really don't know if I've ever put faux meat on a salad before. I might have put chopped up veggie burger on a salad one or twice before, but I don't ever remember it. Honestly, I don't know if it had occurred to me to put faux chicken on a salad. It seems super-obvious, but since I was never a huge fan of meat, even before gong vegan, I never felt like I was missing out. It seems like a good way to get protein though. I definitely plan on making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment