Saturday, June 8, 2013

CTTVCC: No-Yolk Mayo

The recipe I am reviewing today is on page 145. I am sad to report that this recipe didn't turn out very well. It is the first to do so, but I was hoping to use it in the recipes that call for mayonnaise, that way I could free two birds with one meal. (That's my favorite of the non-speciesist version of "kill two birds with one stone." Find more witty aphorisms here.) Unfortunately, like I said, it didn't exactly mayonnaiseify. I was just left with a fake-milky-soup that smelled much better than, but similar to mayonnaise. I'm not the hugest fan of mayonnaise, like at all, but I was willing to use it when the cookbook said to, which is why I was hoping to reuse this recipe in other recipes, so that I wouldn't have to buy mayonnaise, since I wouldn't really use it except for when the cookbook actually called for it.

The recipe calls for:

  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Paprika
  • Yellow mustard
  • 6 tablespoons vegetable oil

Here is my finished mess:


You can't tell amazingly well from this picture, but that's super-liquidy. If you look really closely, you can see little oil beads, and maybe even some of the spices, but I doubt you'll really be able to see anything but the oil, and the soy milk, obviously. Oh and the blender. You can probably see the blender. (Hint: the fail-mayo is inside the blender.)

I suppose that since the recipe didn't work, there isn't much point in recommending certain brands or products to use. I did try this twice though, because the first time, I used flax milk and olive oil, hoping to cut down on calories and unneeded fats. When I got to adding the oil though, it didn't thicken. So, I tried it again, with soy milk and vegetable oil, and it still didn't work. All it did was give me double the amount of fake-milk-soup. I tried adding corn starch, egg replacers, and more oil to try and thicken it, but it didn't even seem to change consistencies at all. It kind of makes me sad, because I really hate wasting food. But oh well. I went out and bought vegan mayo in defeat. If you had any success with this recipe, please tell me what you did and how to make mine work! I will love you forever if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment